Spring is in the air here in Wharton and that means vacation plans are in your near future. While you’re planning what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what is left behind, your home. The Faust Air Conditioning and Heating team has some tips that will work to keep your home protected and help save some money on your utility bills while you enjoy a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are an inexpensive way to make your home seem as though you’re still home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to correspond with your usual schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater peace of mind than a text while you’re out of town letting you know that everything at home is perfect.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your awesome vacation on social media, but try to hold off until after you return to post information about your trip. Family and friends probably already know you’re leaving so there’s no reason letting potential criminals know your plans. Everyone will be just as enchanted by the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it as simple as ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical appliance is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to cut back on energy while you’re on vacation is to unplug a few of your electronics. Something that you may not have thought of unplugging is your garage door. It will conserve energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re on vacation there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your comfort level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about securing your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Faust Air Conditioning and Heating in Wharton a call at 979-323-6130.